In the contemporary world, Virtual and Augmented Reality are two of the most popular technologies. They are the two primary factors that can change the way you look at the world. Though they are well-known worldwide, the differences between them are not clear at all. The terms are confusing, and sometimes people think both as the same.
Virtual Reality: Creation of an Imaginary World
Virtual Reality is basically the creation of the world that is not real but, seems real. We can understand Virtual Reality as the creation of a 3D environment. 3D simulates the real world, and users can interact with it by wearing a VR helmet or goggles similar to Oculus Rift. The virtual world is immersive and fully computer generated.
Augmented Reality: Blend of the Digital and Real World
Augmented reality is a blend of the digital and real world that makes the existing reality more meaningful. Augmented Reality mainly calls for the integration of digital information with the environment of the user environment in real time. It makes use of our current reality to overlay new information on top of it, and then allow the user to make more sense out of the present environment. Augmented reality can also be said as an enhanced version of reality created by using technology to add digital information on an image of something.
Major Difference between AR and VR
- Virtual Reality presents a computer-generated world, where the user sees only an artificial recreation, in this condition user loses contact with the real environment.
- We obtain the VR experience with the digital 3D world with aids such as VR glasses, headset
- In order to get a better virtual reality experience, one should have a more powerful computer
- Virtual Reality isolates a user from the real world and creates a world that is completely fabricated
- We can see, feel and hear the virtual world
- The major utilization of VR is found in industrial applications, training, 3D games, property marketing, and much more
- Virtual Reality creations include 360-degree images, 360-degree videos, and fully created 3D worlds
- Augmented Reality enhances reality by adding digital information to it, in this world, the user is connected with the real environment. AR allows the user to make interaction with the “augmented” objects and stay with the real world at the same time
- AR is easier to access, and we need any external hardware like a smartphone, tablet, head-up display, holography system, or augmented reality glasses such as the Microsoft Hololens are required for this experience
- With AR, virtual components such as digital images, sensations, and graphics are added to the real world that creates a new layer of interaction
- AR provides games, interior furnishing planners, navigation apps, workshop instructions, and more
- The first AR display DEEP FRAME was presented at the CES; it enabled augmented reality WITHOUT glasses
It is clear now that Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality and two different concepts. While Augmented Reality is for real world, Virtual Reality is for content that does not play any role in our current reality. Augmented Reality adds more meaningful information to our experiences in real time, while Virtual Reality has its own advantages. Sometimes, people debate on the scope and potential of both techs. Here, we should remain neutral. Both technologies are very compelling and have distinct uses as well as positive points. AR and Virtual Reality both evolve and hence are not competing with each other but complementing technological sphere.